Please keep in touch and leave us a comment!

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Hurricane Sandy - the storm hits

On Monday morning, the news reports said that anyone who had to do anything should do it now. I realized that we had forgotten some things at the apartment, so I took the kids back to the apartment (Mila in the stroller & Shay on foot). It was about 5 long blocks & 10 shorter blocks in wind and rain. Shay was a trooper, but I decided to switch to the double stroller for the walk back. We picked up more supplies & food on the way back to the hotel. We learned that the NYU medical building closest to the Easr River was already being evacuated. Shay's school is also in evacuation zone A & was closed.

Back at the Ramada, I was doing my best to keep the kids entertained, and the staff kept asking if I was checking out. We had paid for 2 nights, as far as I knew. Well, turns out that Jermaine had only paid for one night, and the hotel was booked. I had to pack up the double stroller, suitcase, food, and kids, then check out & quickly book another hotel through Expedia. We got to the next hotel, where which turned out to be not stroller-accessible. Unloading everything & then getting our stuff up to the fourth floor in an tiny, vintage cage elevator was no easy task. The room was small & dark with a view of a wall; yes, a wall. Suffice to say, it was not a fun day & I didn't take further pictures. Later that night, Jermaine got back & the power went out soon after.

No comments:

Post a Comment