Please keep in touch and leave us a comment!

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Swimming class

Shay has been asking for swimming lessons since we got here and he found out there was a pool in our apartment complex.  Unfortunately, the pool was being renovated until recently, and then I found out that the classes were a little pricey (I'm not sure why I was surprised!).  I had been meaning to look into the pool at the local recreation center across the street, and was able to sign up Shay for the lottery for the last summer session of swim lessons. 

And we got in!  It's only 4 classes, but he was super excited and has been doing great.  It's still a parent participation model (which I was not super excited about), but it's much more ummm...swimming-oriented than the classes we took previously, which mostly focused on being comfortable in the water.  Shay loves sea animals and says he wants to be a "diver", yet doesn't like putting his face in the water.  We have been working on this.  He has actually been blowing bubbles, scooping his arms in circles, and kicking simulteously, while I hold him.  He even did it while in a pool noodle.  The last class is tomorrow, but I am going to put his name in for the fall session in the indoor pool.  I'm crossing my fingers that we'll get lucky again!
Outside the rec center
Shay in his swimming gear.  I got an email from the pool that he needed a swimming cap, though when we got there, maybe one or two other kids had them.  I think he looks like a match, but donning the swim cap is one of his favorite parts of the lesson.

Enjoying free breakfast from the rec center

1 comment: